Ocala man charged with ramming car from behind and fleeing

Kyle William Streb

A 20-year-old Ocala man was arrested last week after allegedly running into a vehicle from behind and leaving the scene of the crash.

Kyle William Streb, of 5001 NW 20th St., was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and leaving the scene of a crash with property damage this past Monday.

An Ocala Police officer responded to the Circle K store at 1986 27th Ave., where the victim said he was driving east on State Road 40 when he stopped to turn right (south) onto SW 33rd Avenue and was struck from behind and on the passenger side by a Chrysler driven by an unknown white male. The victim said the Chrysler turned south onto SW 33rd Avenue, swerving along the roadway and continuing without stopping, according to the OPD report.

The victim said he followed the Chrysler until SW 20th Street to obtain its license tag number. The Chrysler then turned right on to SW 20th Street while the victim pulled into Circle K to call police, according to the report.

While on the scene, the Ocala officer was contacted by a Marion County sheriff’s deputy, who said he had pulled over a vehicle on SW 20th Street for running through a red light at the intersection with SW 60th Avenue. The deputy said the vehicle had extensive damage and appeared to have been in an accident, according to the report.

Another Ocala officer responded and verified the description of the vehicle and the driver, identified as Streb, as well as the license tag number. Deputies advised that Streb exhibited signs of impairment, being unable to competently answer simple questions about the vehicle’s damage, according to the report.

Streb was arrested and transferred to the sheriff’s deputies, and then to the Marion County Jail. The Ocala officer reported Streb’s face and eyes were red and swollen, and he was crying and unsteady on his feet, according to the report.

At the jail, Streb agreed to participate in standard field sobriety exercises, which he failed on every count. Breath tests revealed Streb’s blood-alcohol content to be .272 and .286, according to the report.

Streb was released Tuesday on $2,000 bond. No court date was scheduled.