Smoke detectors credited with saving five people inside burning Ocala home

Smoke detectors are being credited with saving lives in an early morning structure fire in Ocala on Saturday.

Crews from Marion County Fire Rescue battle a structure fire at a home in the 3400 block of SE 62nd Street early Saturday morning.

Crews from Marion County Fire Rescue at 4:38 a.m. were dispatched to a residential structure fire in the 3400 block of SE 62nd Street. The 911 caller reported the home was on fire with power lines arcing.

At 4:45 a.m., District Captain 5 arrived on scene and advised dispatchers that there was a working fire in the approximately 3,000-square-foot concrete block residence. Engine Company 16 arrived at 4:46am, deployed two fire suppression lines and went to work attacking the fire.

But as crews were advancing, an active power line fell on the hose lines, rendering them inoperable. Duke Energy was then dispatched to the scene.

Marion County firefighters brought a structure fire under control in less than 15 minutes early Saturday morning. Their efforts to extinguish the blaze were hampered when a live power line fell across fire hoses and rendered them inoperable.

Engine Company 33 deployed additional hose lines from their apparatus and began extinguishing the fire in the back of the residence. Additional units from Shady Station 16 and Belleview Station 18 arrived on scene and assisted in battling the blaze.

The fire was called under control at 5 a.m. The cause of the fire was deemed to be electrical. And no injuries were reported in the blaze, thanks largely to smoke detectors that alerted the five people inside the burning home.