Damage from recent storm winds have closed two docks on Lake Weir in Carney Island Recreation and Conservation Area (13275 SE 115 Ave., Ocklawaha).
The main, floating dock and the personal watercraft dock are unsafe and unusable. Park guests are urged to stay clear of the work zones and off of the full span of both docks due to broken connectors. Repairs are expected to be completed by July 31.
Summer is a busy time for outdoor recreation areas and especially Carney Island’s Lake Weir. Whether you’re enjoying the park’s pavilions, playground or swimming areas, remember these safety tips:
Heat safety tips
- Avoid extended time outdoors between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Protect yourself from bugs and the sun.
- Stay hydrated! Drink water, not sugary drinks, before you get thirsty.
- Always wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket that fits when on the water.
- Know your limitations and never swim alone.
- Maintain close supervision of young children and weak swimmers.
For more information, contact Marion County Parks and Recreation at 352-671-8560 or firstname.lastname@example.org.