Man accused of battering pregnant girlfriend and threatening Ocala officer

Di’Shon Je’Chonias Barnes

An Ocala man was arrested Thursday for allegedly battering his pregnant girlfriend and then threatening the Ocala Police officer who arrested him.

The victim told the officer that she and 24-year-old Di’Shon Je’Chonias Barnes were in an argument when Barnes pushed her down and caused her to hit her head on a television stand. She said she and Barnes have a 1-year-old child in common and she is 21 weeks pregnant. The victim said Barnes is the father of her unborn child and is fully aware she is pregnant, according to the police report.

The victim said Barnes came to her house to receive his cell phone, which he left there. She said Barnes came inside to get some water for his vehicle, which had overheated. The couple got into an argument and Barnes started to pour water on the floor and her. The victim said Barnes then pushed her down and into the television stand before walking away from the residence, leaving his car behind, the report said.

The victim had a small laceration on her head but did not need to be taken to the hospital. She refused to provide a written statement and did not want to participate in the domestic violence Shield Program, according to the report.

Barnes said the victim attacked him with a knife and punched him in the face while he was at the residence. He said he had a friend who witnessed the events, but the friend said that he only saw Barnes pouring water on the victim and that he never saw her with the knife or throw a punch, the report said.

After being charged with aggravated domestic battery and assault on a law enforcement officer, Barnes became very vocal and said he wanted to spit in the officer’s face. The officer reported that Barnes said he would “beat my ass” when he got out of jail, and then asked, “where do you hang out,” implying he wanted to carry out the threat. The officer felt this was a credible threat, and he believed Barnes would spit on him when he got close to him to search him, according to the report.

Upon arriving at the Marion County Jail, the officer asked deputies to assist with removing Barnes from the vehicle. Barnes went peacefully inside after seeing the additional deputies. He was released Friday on $2,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in Marion County Court on Oct. 8.