The City of Ocala is preparing to conduct a special waste amnesty day.
The event will be held Saturday, Sept. 12 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the corner of at N.E. 14th Street and N.E. Eighth Avenue.
Special waste consists of household hazardous waste and electronics. Neither of these types of waste is permitted to be picked up with regularly scheduled residential waste collection. Special waste from businesses will not be collected.
Examples of hazardous waste items accepted:
- Lawn and garden chemicals;
- Paint, paint thinners, gasoline and antifreeze;
- Cleaning fluids;
- Fluorescent bulbs, including compact fluorescent lamps;
- Used oil and filters;
- Batteries (auto batteries, rechargeable batteries, etc.);
- Pool chemicals;
- Aerosol cans; and
- Thermometers and thermostats.
Examples of electronic items accepted:
- Battery chargers;
- Computers, keyboards and monitors;
- Small copiers, printers, answering machines and fax machines;
- CD, DVD, Blu-ray and MP3 players;
- Stereos and televisions; and
- Cell phones, tablets, PDAs, scanners and cameras.
For more information, please contact the City of Ocala Residential Sanitation Department at (352) 351-6697.