The Ocala Civic Theatre is holding open auditions for the musical “Million Dollar Quartet.”
The smash-hit musical will be held March 22-23 at the theater. It was inspired by the famed recording session that brought together rock and roll icons Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins for the first and only time.
On Dec. 4, 1956, these four young musicians gathered at Sun Records in Memphis for what would be one of the greatest jam sessions ever. “Million Dollar Quartet” brings that legendary night to life, featuring a score of hits including “Blue Suede Shoes,” “Fever,” “That’s All Right,” “Sixteen Tons,” “Great Balls of Fire,” “Walk the Line,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On,” “Who Do You Love?,” “Matchbox,” “Folsom Prison Blues,” “Hound Dog.”
This thrilling musical will bring audience members inside the recording studio with four major talents and the producing legend who discovered them for one unforgettable night. The following roles are available:
- Elvis Presley: The first and still undisputed “King of Rock ‘n’ Roll.” Guitar player. Age 20-30.
- Johnny Cash: A giant of American music at the dawn of his epic career. Guitar player. Age 25-35.
- Carl Perkins: The first poet of rock and roll. Lead guitar player. Age 25-35.
- Sam Phillips: The father of rock and roll. Founder of Sun Records. Discovered Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and many others including Roy Orbison and B.B. King. A towering and charismatic figure in American music. Age 35-45. This is a non-singing, non-musician role.
- Dyanne: An aspiring singer. Elvis’ girlfriend. Age 25-35. This is a singing/acting role.
Actors/musicians auditioning for the roles of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins must be able to play guitar and sing and will be expected to provide their own instrument for auditions, rehearsals and performances. The role of Jerry Lee Lewis will be played by Music Director Philip King.
Audition song requirements:
- Elvis Presley: “Long Tall Sally” (key: C major). Prepare two complete verses/choruses and a solo guitar chorus.
- Johnny Cash: “I Walk the Line” (key: F major). Prepare two complete verses (one must be sung in the lower octave).
- Carl Perkins: “Blue Suede Shoes” (key: A major). Prepare 2 complete verses/choruses and a solo guitar chorus.
If needed, e-mail [email protected] to request sheet music for these songs.
In addition to the vocal/instrumental audition, actors auditioning for Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, and Carl Perkins will be asked to read from the script.
Actors auditioning for the role of Sam Phillips will be asked to read from the script.
Actors auditioning for the role of Dyanne should prepare 32 bars from a song which demonstrates vocal skill and range. Legible sheet music must be provided for the audition pianist/music director. No recorded accompaniment or a cappella auditions will be allowed.
For more information about the vocal/instrumental audition, call (863) 299-2672.
Copies of the Million Dollar Quartet script are available at the Theatre and may be checked out from the box office for one week with a $10 refundable deposit. Box office hours are Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Call (352) 236-2274 before coming to make sure a script is in stock. If you check out a script the week before auditions, you must return it by 5:30 p.m. on Friday, March 19.
Auditions will be held Monday, March 22 and Tuesday, March 23 at 7 p.m. each night. It is only necessary to attend one night of auditions. No experience is necessary. Newcomers and theatre veterans alike are welcome and encouraged to audition.
If you are unable to attend the scheduled auditions, please contact the Theatre at (352) 236-2274 about making a separate appointment. Be prepared at auditions to list any conflicts with the rehearsal schedule.
Callbacks will be held Wednesday, March 24. Rehearsals will be held April 5-May 26, Monday through Friday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Ocala Civic Theatre. There also will be an all-day tech rehearsal on Saturday, May 22. There will be 25 public performances, Thursdays through Sundays, from May 27-June 27.