74.2 F
Thursday, June 17, 2021

Ocala man arrested after battling with sheriff’s deputies during traffic stop

Gabriel Lakeith Hinton
Gabriel Lakeith Hinton

An Ocala man was jailed Tuesday after Marion County sheriff’s deputies said he became aggressive with them during a traffic stop.

A deputy ran a computer check on a tan 2004 Mercury being driven by 39-year-old Gabriel Lakeith Hinton and determined that the vehicle’s tag had expired on April 19. The deputy stopped the vehicle in the 1200 block of S.E. 17th Street and made contact with Hinton, who questioned why he was being stopped.

The deputy asked Hinton for his driver’s license, proof of insurance and registration and he asked the deputy if he had “probable cause” to pull him over. The deputy explained the reason for the traffic stop multiple times but Hinton refused to turn over his license until the until the two talked further, the report says, adding that he eventually handed it to the deputy.

Deputies reported smelling burnt marijuana and when they asked Hinton about it, he said, “I’m not answering any more questions.” Hinton then refused to step out of his vehicle but did so once deputies reached inside to assist him, the report says.

Deputies asked Hinton to put his hands on the vehicle so they could pat him down for weapons and he again refused. He tensed his body to resist the effort to pat him down and out of concerns that he may be armed, deputies took Hinton to the ground, the report says.

Hinton refused to comply with commands to place his hands behind his back. But deputies soon gained control of him, placed him in restraints and sat him in the back of a patrol vehicle, the report says.

Deputies conducted a search of the vehicle and found a folded piece of paper in the sun visor on the driver’s side that contained a small amount of a green leafy substance that tested positive for THC content. Hinton was then placed under arrest and transported to the Marion County Jail, where he was charged with resisting an officer without violence. He was released early Wednesday morning on $1,000 bond and his next court date hasn’t yet been set, jail records show.