77.2 F
Friday, September 3, 2021

Belleview man arrested after allegedly attacking, preventing victim from calling 911

A Belleview man was arrested after allegedly strangling a woman until she was bruised and preventing her from calling 911.

A deputy from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office responded to a home in reference to a call from inside the home from the victim. After a brief discussion with the tenants of the home regarding the call, the deputy was permitted to search the premises and found the victim in a room with her children.

The victim, who was visibly upset and crying, says she called authorities for fear that 29-year-old Miguel Reyes Herrera was going to attack her while intoxicated. The victim alleged that she has previously been attacked by Herrera while he was intoxicated.

She says that on July 30, after Herrera had been drinking, he became belligerent and began choking her. The victim says that Herrera stopped choking her after one of her children witnessed the incident, and when she attempted to contact law enforcement, Herrera took her phone.

Belleview man arrested after allegedly attacking preventing victim from calling 911
Miguel Reyes Herrera

She says she did not notify law enforcement after Herrera returned her phone because she has no family in the area and has no alternative living options.

The deputy noted bruising around the victim’s neck consistent with having been strangled in the recent past.

The deputy interviewed one of the victim’s juvenile children who confirmed having seen her mother choked by Herrera in the past.

Herrera admitted to choking the victim and says he did so because of her “continuous lies,” according to the sheriff’s office report. Herrera admits that he was intoxicated during the incident, but denies preventing the victim from contacting 911 and says that he was apologetic after the victim said she could not breathe.

Herrera was arrested and transported to the Marion County Jail on Tuesday, August 31 with a bond set at $15,000. His next court date is set for October 5 at 9 a.m., according to jail records.