The School Choice Expo returns to West Port High School this week.
The expo will be held on Thursday, November 18, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at West Port High School’s gymnasium (3733 SW 80th Avenue in Ocala).
During the expo, the School Choice programs, magnet, and career and technical academies offered by Marion County Public Schools will be on display.
Event staff will be on hand to help with the application process and to answer any parent and student questions.
School Choice allows for students assigned to one school to attend another based on available programs. Reassignment depends on factors such as available space at the desired school.
Transportation is not provided to schools outside of a student’s zoned school, with the exception of MIT.
Students who received placement for magnet schools, career academies, controlled open enrollment, or Special Choice Option for the current school year are not required to resubmit a transfer request for the next school year, as long as they attend the same school.
Eligible elementary schools and programs:
- N. H. Jones: Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics (STEAM)
- Madison Street Academy: Visual and Performing Arts
- Reddick-Collier: Mathematics (STEAM)
- Sunrise: Mathematics (STEAM)
Eligible middle schools and programs:
- Belleview: Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE)
- Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks: Mathematics (STEAM)
- Howard: International Baccalaureate (IB), Mathematics (STEAM)
- North Marion: Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE), Mathematics (STEAM)
Eligible high schools and programs:
- Belleview: Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE), Robotics Automation and Design (RAD)
- Dunnellon: Advanced Studies, Power Generation
- Forest: College and Career Advanced Placement, Entrepreneurship
- Lake Weir: International Baccalaureate (IB), Military Academy
- Marion Technical Institute: Automotive, Building Sciences, Culinary Arts and Baking, Early Childhood, Information Technology, Integrated First Responder, Career Academy at College of Central Florida
- North Marion: Biotechnology, Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE), Equine Academy
- Vanguard: International Baccalaureate (IB), Future Educator Academy
- West Port: Biomedical, Early College, Logistics, Marion Center for the Arts (MCCA)
School Choice applications will be accepted starting November 18 until January 31. Applications can be found on the Marion County Public Schools website.