73.9 F
Ocala
Thursday, August 18, 2022

Marion County Airport T-hangar project nears completion

The Marion County Airport (X35) has announced that the addition of 20 T-hangars is scheduled for completion later this month.

The new facilities measure approximately 30,000 square feet, and the improvement project, as a whole, encompasses more than six acres.

Grants from the Florida Department of Transportation Aviation provided 80% of the funding necessary to complete the $3 million project, and Marion County funded the remaining 20% of the project.

The planning and design of the project kicked off in April 2020. Once the plan was approved, the project moved into the construction phase in August 2021.

The new T-hangars will aid the airport in exceeding state-set projections for based aircraft and aircraft operations by more than 30%. These additions will also allow for a 20% increase in permanent occupancy at the airport, which will help reduce the airport’s 142-person waiting list for hangar space.

According to Marion County, the above-mentioned factors will add to the $44 million economic impact the airport already provides the local economy through onsite and visitor spending.

Airport Manager Mike Grawe said, “The new hangars enable our community to experience ‘everything aviation.’ This project brings even more aviation-related activities and opportunities to our community, from skydiving to building a lifelong career in aviation. This truly is an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the true passion of aviation.”

The Marion County Airport is located at 14968 SW 110th Street in Dunnellon.

For more information, please contact the Marion County Airport via phone (352-465-8545) or email ([email protected]).