All emergency shelter locations that were opened in Marion County due to Hurricane Ian will soon be closed.
As of 9 a.m. on Thursday, the Marion County Sheriff’s Office Division of Emergency Management has begun the process of closing the emergency shelters at the following locations:
- West Port High School (3733 SW 80th Avenue in Ocala).
- Belleview Middle School (10500 SE 36th Avenue in Belleview).
- Dunnellon High School (10055 SW 180th Avenue Road in Dunnellon).
- Fort McCoy School (16160 NE County Road 315 in Fort McCoy).
- Hammett Bowen Jr. Elementary School (4397 SW 95th Street in Ocala).
- North Marion Middle School (2085 W County Road 329 in Citra).
- Vanguard High School (7 NW 28th Street in Ocala).
These emergency shelters are not taking in any new residents at this time.
Anyone who is currently staying at the shelters will be able to leave as soon as the conditions are safe for them to do so, according to a social media post from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office.