BubbaQue’s BBQ in Dunnellon was forced to temporarily close its doors last week after an inspector found 26 health code violations, including the presence of roach activity.
The restaurant, which is located at 11582 N Williams Street in Dunnellon, was closed on Wednesday, December 14 after a failed inspection, according to a health inspection report filed by a health inspector with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Among the issues the restaurant was cited for were five high priority violations, including the presence of roach activity.
The inspector noted in the report that live roaches were found throughout the restaurant, including 21 roaches on a partition wall in the kitchen, one roach in a crevasse around the entrance to the kitchen, three roaches on a milk crate containing condiments at the server station, three roaches on the wall behind the ice machine in the kitchen, five roaches on the wheels of a prep table near the ice machine, two roaches on a milk crate near the ice machine, three roaches on a prep table near the back door, one roach inside an electrical outlet near the back door, three roaches behind the reach-in cooler in the bar area, and six roaches on the reach-in cooler’s door gaskets, according to the report.
Dead roaches were spotted on the premises, including approximately 40 roaches on the floor underneath the ice machine and reach-in cooler in the prep area, four roaches on the floor behind the cooler in the bar area, three roaches on a table behind the bar, and 10 roaches on an unused table near the back door.
In addition, the inspector observed roach excrement and/or droppings throughout the restaurant, including one roach egg sack on the kitchen floor underneath the hand sink, one roach egg sack on the kitchen floor near a chemical storage rack, and black marks on several walls throughout the kitchen.
The report also detailed multiple basic and intermediate violations, including renovations being made without submitting a plan for review and approval. According to the report, the restaurant is in the process of being remodeled, and the inspector noted that the hand sink was moved to the other side of the wall, the dish machine was not in working condition, the triple sink had been moved to an area behind the restaurant, several walls had exposed studs, and baseboards were missing in the dining area.
The restaurant was temporarily shut down, and the health inspector returned to the establishment on Friday, December 16 for a follow-up inspection. In the report, the inspector noted that dead roaches were still observed throughout the restaurant, and a few live roaches were also spotted and killed during the inspection.
The restaurant remained closed, and the health inspector returned for another follow-up visit on Saturday, December 17. The inspector noted that the restaurant had used brown signs, which stated “closed for renovations,” to cover the closure stickers that were in place due to the failed inspection. Additionally, one dead roach and several live roaches were spotted inside the restaurant.
The health inspector’s report from the visit on December 17 indicated that the restaurant was cited for three high priority violations, and another follow-up inspection will be required before the eatery is permitted to reopen.