65.5 F
Sunday, December 10, 2023

Ocala man arrested after 100+ mph high-speed chase

A 22-year-old Ocala man was arrested after he led a Marion County Sheriff’s Office deputy on a high-speed chase that reached speeds of over 100 miles per hour.

On Sunday, November 12, an MCSO deputy was traveling eastbound in the 5800 block of SE Maricamp Road in Ocala when a dark Corvette was observed traveling at approximately 110 mph in a posted 50-mph zone. Moments later, the deputy’s radar device confirmed that the vehicle was traveling at 114 mph, according to the arrest report.

After activating the patrol car’s emergency lights and siren, the deputy approached the vehicle, which was behind a “group of other motorists.” The report stated that the vehicle changed lanes, briefly slowed down, and then sped up, ignoring the deputy’s attempt at conducting a traffic stop.

The deputy noted in the report that the vehicle continued to flee at speeds exceeding 100 mph and turned northbound onto SE 36th Avenue. The driver of the vehicle, later identified as Jarmaine Leandre Oliver, then made a sudden turn into the parking lot of a closed business and turned off the vehicle’s headlights in an “apparent attempt to hide.”

Jarmaine Leandre Oliver
Jarmaine Leandre Oliver

When the deputy approached the business, Oliver traveled back onto SE 36th Avenue and continued to flee northbound in his vehicle. The report stated that the high-speed pursuit, which continued for several more minutes at speeds exceeding 100 mph, eventually came to an end at the intersection of NW Gainesville Road and NW 35th Street.

The deputy conducted a traffic stop of the vehicle and observed that it was unoccupied. Moments later, the deputy observed movement in the nearby woods. Oliver was spotted, and he quickly surrendered and was taken into custody, according to the report.

After being read his Miranda rights, Oliver admitted to fleeing from the deputy. He stated that he “stopped” when his vehicle sustained damage after crossing a concrete median.

During a pat-down search of Oliver, the deputy found a small plastic baggie in one of Oliver’s pockets that contained a small amount of a green leafy substance. This substance field-tested positive for marijuana, according to the report.

Oliver was arrested, transported to Marion County Jail, and he was released the same day on $11,000 bond. He is facing a felony charge for fleeing to elude a law enforcement officer with disregard of safety to persons or property, as well as a misdemeanor charge for possession of marijuana (not more than 20 grams).

A court date has not been scheduled yet, according to jail records.