An Ocala BBQ restaurant was shut down last week for the second time this year after a health inspector found six violations – four of which were deemed “high priority” and centered around issues with roaches and food temperatures.
The inspector visited Fat Boys Bar-B-Q, located at 4132 NE Silver Springs Blvd., on Oct. 8 and reported seeing 22 live roaches and excrement around wood shelves under equipment on the cookline. The inspector also reported that a cook began spraying the area with a pesticide, according to a report on file with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
The inspector also cited an issue with cold food being held at greater than 41 degrees when he found tomatoes from Oct. 6 stored in a reach-in cooler at 46 degrees. A stop sale was issued on the tomatoes due to temperature abuse, the report says.
An intermediate violation was cited when the inspector spotted two pans of ribs and one pan of chicken that was left at room temperature to cool. Those items were then moved to a walk-in cooler, the report says.
A basic violation also was cited for four dead roaches that were found on a shelf under the equipment on the cookline.
The inspector returned the following morning and found no violations. The eatery was then allowed to reopen at 9:23 a.m.
The recent closure marks the second time this year the restaurant has been forced to shut its doors. In February, a health inspector closed the business in the middle of the lunch hour after finding issues with raw food stored above other food items and 25 small flying inspects near a drain under a high-temperature dish machine.