76.6 F
Friday, April 19, 2024

Serial bank robber gets 40-year sentence for robbery years after finishing 19-year stint

A 46-year-old man who spent 19 years in prison for robbing 8 banks will spend another 40 years behind bars after robbing another bank within two years of his previous release.

On Monday, April 1, 2024, Jeromee Wade Greenough was sentenced to 40 years in the Florida Department of Corrections for a slew of felony convictions, including robbery with a weapon and multiple counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, among others.

Jeromee Wade Greenough
Jeromee Wade Greenough, 46, of Zephyrhills

Due to Greenough’s status as a “habitual offender,” he will serve 30 years of his sentence, day for day with no gain time, as a prison releasee reoffender.

Prior to his most recent arrest in 2022, Greenough had been released from the U.S. Bureau of Prisons on September 8, 2020, after serving 19 years for committing eight armed bank robberies.

Court records show that on July 21, 2022, less than two years after being released from prison, Greenough was apprehended by the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office in connection with the robbery of a TD Bank in Crystal River.

Greenough had entered the bank shortly before noon on July 21, 2022, while brandishing a firearm, which was later determined to be a BB gun. He then demanded money from the teller’s counter, and he fled the scene in a white vehicle after obtaining an undisclosed amount of cash.

In collaboration with the Florida Highway Patrol, CCSO deputies and detectives spotted Greenough traveling down Fort Island Trail. He proceeded to flee from law enforcement at a high rate of speed.

During the pursuit, law enforcement successfully deployed spike strips, which deflated Greenough’s tires. The chase ultimately came to an end when FHP immobilized Greenough’s vehicle with a Pursuit Intervention Technique (P.I.T.) maneuver.

Moments later, Greenough armed himself with a rifle and exited the vehicle. He fled towards a nearby playground area, where he was apprehended by law enforcement.