85 F
Monday, April 15, 2024

Taser-wielding Dunnellon man threatens customer in restaurant

A 42-year-old Dunnellon man has been charged with assault after he allegedly threatened to harm a customer with a taser inside a local restaurant.

On Tuesday, February 6, at around 8:55 p.m., Dunnellon Police Department officers responded to Swampy’s Bar and Grille located at 19773 E Pennsylvania Avenue in reference to a verbal disturbance.

Upon arrival, the officers made contact with a manager who advised that a man, later identified as Levi Hall, had pointed a “gun or taser” at a male customer and threatened to shoot him, according to the arrest report.

Levi Hall
Levi Hall, 42, of Dunnellon

The report stated that Hall was observed riding a bicycle near the incident location. As Hall rode onto a path leading into the woods, several officers attempted to locate him but were unsuccessful.

One of the officers returned to the restaurant and made contact with the male victim. He stated that he was eating at the restaurant shortly before the incident, and Hall was seated at a nearby table. According to the victim’s statement, Hall approached his table and proceeded to ask for money.

The victim advised that he told Hall to “mind his own business and go back to his table.” The report stated that Hall allegedly threatened to punch the victim, and the victim immediately began walking away.

Moments later, Hall began screaming at the victim. When the victim turned around, Hall pulled out a taser, though the victim advised that he initially thought it was a “firearm with a light.” Hall then allegedly proceeded to point the taser at the victim’s head while stating that he was “going to shoot (the victim),” according to the report.

The victim told the officer that Hall began “waving the taser around” while screaming. A manager quickly contacted law enforcement, which prompted Hall to exit the restaurant and ride away on his bicycle. An officer noted in the report that the victim was “scared for his life” during the altercation.

A short time after officers arrived on scene, Hall was located riding his bicycle near SW 186th Circle. He initially ignored orders to stop and “attempted to escape the area,” though he eventually stopped his bicycle. He was detained in handcuffs without further incident, according to the report.

After being read his Miranda rights, Hall confirmed that he had gotten into a verbal altercation with the victim. In the report, an officer noted that Hall admitted to pulling out a taser and pointing it at the victim during the argument. He also apologized for “running from the police.”

Hall was arrested and transported to Marion County Jail on February 6. He was released from jail six days later after posting a $7,500 bond, and he is facing the following charges: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and fleeing to elude a law enforcement officer.

A court date has been scheduled at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 12, according to jail records.